Conservatives from Florida to Washington, D.C., were shaken last week as one of the best-known of their voices in Congress was dealt the worst possible hand in the redistricting process. With the release of preliminary maps for Florida’s new congressional districts, the incumbent who inarguably was hit hardest in the process was freshman Republican Allen West, retired U.S. Army colonel and swashbuckling Tea Party conservative.
Originating from the Republican-run state senate, the maps, to be sure, are preliminary and nothing more. The final lines for the state’s 27 U.S. House districts will be drawn up by the House and Senate in January and become law if they survive a court challenge. So the actual fate of West’s 22nd district is a ways off, although the maps were a clear clue as to where the Republican-controlled legislature is headed.
Continue Reading: Florida Redistricting May Severely Test Allen West’s Mettle
- VIDEO- Congressman Allen West – Special Order Speech on the House Floor 11/8/11 (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)
- More nuanced Allen West emerges (politico.com)
- Rep Allen West Video – Broward Holiday Party December 2011 – by Red Broward (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)
- Rep Allen West apologizes to America for failure of Congress on debt (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)
- Republicans aim to take control of the Senate and rid the White House of President Obama (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)